Sunday, June 3, 2007

Day 5--Miami






Today the youth sang in a homeless shelter run by Central Baptist Church in Miami. They also sang in Central's worship service where they got to hear the testimony of Pulitzer Prize winning writer Michael Sallah. They then spent the afternoon on a boat tour viewing the homes and yachts of famous people along the shore (there was a party going on at Will Smith's house!) and hanging out at the Bayside Marina where they could eat and shop. Finally the group went back to the beach to play for a few hours.




















Daily Journals:
"We went to the homeless shelter on June 3rd. Some of us worked in the kitchen. All of the people were really nice. Kirsti S. did noodles and got burned. Amelia and Lauren L. did meatballs, Tray did sauce, Taylor C. did peas, Brian and Sarah did brownies, and Kirstie A. and Hannah W. helped."--Taylor C.

"The homeless shelter was a different environment. I think we are lucky and fortunate of what we have. They are very nice and just like us, except where they live."--Jake C.

"Lauren Pope and I were thrilled to come across a Coach store while meandering through the crowded streets of Key West (yesterday). Walking through the store, we found like a billion cute purses and wallets, etc. and Lauren found the "find of the day": a WAY cute Coach umbrella for only $25, originally $50. So of course I had to get one too. With satisfied smiles on our faces, we waltzed out of the store with our new, cute umbrellas. We walked a few steps, still talking about the awesome deal we just got, and I see a man searching desperately for something in a trash can. We walk closer and I see that he is trying to open a bag of some sort. Well, I keep watching him, and he opens the bag and pulls out a white box with Chinese writing on it. Then I realize, this man is looking for food in the trash can! I didn't think people really did that. I thought that only happened in the movies. With a guilty conscience, I kept walking. I knew I should have done something. Given him money, talked to him, anything. My conscience took over and I had to tell someone. I told Lauren the situation and we thought quickly of something we could do. Then Lauren said, 'Give him that candy bar you got at dinner!' We decided that money wouldn't be a good thing to give him. I frantically ran back to the trash can the man was at and said, 'Excuse me, sir, would you like to have this?' and held out the chocolate bar to this complete stranger, and he looked up at me with sober, innocent eyes and smiled, and politely said 'Thank you'. I smiled at him and walked away with my Coach shopping bag hanging from my arm...something to think about."--Laura C.

2 comments:

Lynn Martin said...

Jennifer and Youth: Looks like you guys are having an awesome time! Lots of people say "wish I was there", but I REALLY mean it! Jen, I want you guys to know that you are really touching a lot more lives that you realize - Aunt Esther and Rhonda and the kids in Acworth; Carli, Tonya and Caitlin in Ohio; Mary, Beau and the boys, plus Mr. Pete in Tennessee; Mrs. Moon, the folks at dialysis, and Granny and Kat- basically everybody in my address book. We miss you, but we are proud of what you are doing spreading God's Word. Jen, Lauren, and Taylor - smile big for the camera! have fun at Universal and stay safe, and keep up the good work. Oh, yeah, and HAPPY B'DAY TO KYLE!
:) Love, Mom (Miss Lynn)

Judy H said...

I am so proud of each one of you. Thank you for being a vessel - pouring out the overflow of love and blessings that God has given you. Have fun making memories. I look forward to hearing about them all!!
Love, Ms. Judy